What is “The Application Was Unable To Start Correctly” Error”?
When users try to open any software on their Windows PC, they face such errors. After upgrading their system and an installation, they face this error with 0xc000007b error code. There is no simple reason behind this error but mostly it’s a compatibility issue with windows and software. To fix this issue, we first need to determine what causes it to happen.
Why Error “The Application Was Unable To Start Correctly” Error occurs?
Most windows users face this issue once in a while and it could be solved easily when we found the right reason. Here are the most common reason behind the issue,
- When running 32- bit software on a 64-bit system or vice versa, we could face this error with 0xc000007b error code.
- If Installation goes wrong, this error could pop up
- Accessing without Administrative permission
- Compatibility error
- Graphic card driver error
- Hardware error
- Hard drive error
- Virus, corrupt software, and others
To fix this issue, we need to apply every method chronologically to find the solution.
How to Fix “The Application Was Unable To Start Correctly” Error?
- Restart Your PC
Rebooting the system could solve the issue most of the time. If the issue was related to the system, rebooting it will probably fix it. Shut down the PC and wait for a couple of minutes and start again. Check for the error, if it isn’t solving, then try another method.
- Run Application as Administrator
When users run any application, they are doing it with medium-level clearance and integrity set by the windows. It suggests that users can access the program but it’s not as truth-worthy as administrative. That can create conflict in the system and sometimes it could be the reason behind the 0xc000007b error. Here is how to run any application as an administrator,
- Search program or app in the menu
- Right-click on the app and click on run as administrative
This will provide the software administrative level of integrity which interpret as safe software to run. If the issue of the app being unable to start correctly is not fixed with this solution, try other methods.
- Reinstall Application
To find the root of the problem, we first need to know which app is causing the issue. If the problem only occurs with one app, then simply reinstalling the app could solve the issue of the 0xc000007b error. Here is how to reinstall any application,
- Go to the menu and find the control panel
- Then find the programs and features option
- Then search for the application, right-click on it and uninstall the app
- Go to the official website for the application and redownload and install it.
Once the application is uninstalled, try to open another app, and if the 0xc000007b error still occurs, then it means the issue is not with a single app. For that, we need to find another solution.
- Run in Compatibility mode
If reinstalling an app and running as administrative won’t solve the issue then try compatibility mode. Compatibility mode is designed for those apps that cannot run in the new windows operating system. Here is how to use it,
- Go to any app and right-click on it and visit properties
- Now find the compatibility mode option
- Then check the box that says, “run this program in compatibility mode for” and select any previous operating system from the list.
- Now click on the apply button and open the app to check
Most of the time, the new operating system does not support old apps, with this option, you can run any old app with compatibility mode.
- Update .NET Framework
Make sure to update the .NET framework to solve this issue right away. This software helps the computer to identify and run applications smoothly if .NET is out of date, then it could cause problems. By updating the .NET framework, the PC will run smoothly and without any errors like “The Application Was Unable To Start Correctly”. Here is how to update it,
- Go to the control panel and search for programs and features
- On that page look for the “Turn, Windows features on or off” option on the left-hand side.
- By clicking that option, a new window will appear, select .NET Framework 3.5 option, and press the ok button.
This will start the process of updating the .NET framework. Once the framework is installed, restart the PC and try again to check if the 0xc000007b error still appears or not. If it doesn’t solve the issue, then try other methods.
- Reinstall the Microsoft Visual C+
Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable is a standard redistribution package that allows all apps to run smoothly. It connects all app and library components and it’s required in every Windows computer. If the issue with the application was unable to start correctly occurs too often, then reinstall it.
- Go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Uninstall a program
- Now find Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable and uninstall it
- After that, restart your PC
- Once the PC is rebooted, go to Microsoft Download center and find Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for 32-bit or 64-bit
- Follow the instruction and then restart your PC
Once Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable is installed, try to open any app and if the error persists, try another method.
- Update DLL
DLL or Dynamic Link Library is a shared library concept by Microsoft. It runs all the shared code on your PC which makes every App function without any issue. Updating DLL will surely solve the issue of the 0xc000007b error and the application was unable to start correctly. Go to DLLme Website and download any DLL for free.
- Update DirectX
DirectX is a collection of program interfaces that are required to run games and programs in windows. Without DirectX, some of the apps won’t run properly and games don’t start at all. That’s why if every method fails, try to update DirectX to solve the issue of being unable to start correctly. Download DirectX from Microsoft and reinstall or update it.
- Update Windows
If you cannot find the solution then try updating your windows. If the problem is universal, then windows must have solved the issue with a new update. Always keep your PC updated and install updates regularly to solve the “The Application Was Unable To Start Correctly” error.
- Open windows settings or press Windows+I
- Now go to update and security
- Then click on the “check for updates” box
- Follow the instruction and install the updates
Once the updates are installed, try to open any app to know the error message still occurring. It will leave only one option to the user, to check the hard drive for any issue with the CHKDSK command.
Also Read: 30 Best WordPress Social Media Plugins
- Run CHKDSK
CHKDSK command is specifically designed to check any error in the hard disk. If everything else fails, then the hard disk issue is the only reason behind this error. Here is how to run the CHKDSK command,
- Open command prompt and type “chkdsk c: /f /r”
- If you want to check any other driver, then replace “C” with that drive name
- It will ask your permission to run a check, once you type “Y”, you need to restart your PC
- When the PC boots up, it will check the hard disk for any issue
It will take some time to check the hard disk depending on the size. Once the check is complete, it will start the window. Check for the 0xc000007b error.
FAQ for The Application Was Unable To Start Correctly
- How do I fix the application was unable to start correctly 0xc000007b?
There are multiple ways to solve this issue on windows and we have described each one of them in this article. Here is the list, reboot your PC, run as Administrator, reinstall the app, run in compatibility mode, run CHKDSK command, reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable. If the problem persists, then update the .Net framework, DLL files, DirectX, and windows.
- Why Error “The Application Was Unable To Start Correctly” Error occurs?
One of the main reasons is upgrading your PC, but other than that, there are a few reasons that could cause this error such as running 32-bit software on a 64-bit PC, hard disk error, installation error, Compatibility error, and more.
- What causes 0xc000007b error?
When users try to open any app on the PC and it can not access the file, this error occurs. Along with the error code, we can also see an error message like The Application Was Unable To Start Correctly.
The Windows operating system is one of the most popular OS in the world because of its reliability and functions. But sometimes, we encounter errors like The Application Was Unable To Start Correctly and don’t know how to fix it. That is why we have provided 10 methods in this article to fix the 0xc000007b error code with step by step guide. Make sure to follow all the steps and when you find the solution that works for you, comment on this article so that more people could fix it.