What is the “ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT” Error?
This error occurs when the user tries to access any website while the connection between browser and website does not happen therefore browser shows us a connection timed out error after 30 seconds. Due to this error, the website content does not appear and only displays the error message.
This happens most of the time because of the bad internet connection, Sometimes even with reliable internet, users are not able to connect to the website.
There are multiple reasons behind this issue including poor internet connection, website server error, and browser issues. We can fix connection timed out errors with some simple methods. Read the following guide and follow the steps to fix the error.
How to Fix the “ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT” Error in Chrome?
Insist you first check whether the site is UP or down visiting the portal down for everyone or just me? In case, if you find it as UP, proceed further with the stated fixing methods.
- Restart your PC
If you are continually facing the connection time-out error, then restart your PC right away. When we reboot our PC, it suspends all the running activities. This will sever every background process and internet connection. Once the PC starts again, it will start every process from scratch and establish an internet connection again. If the timed-out connection error is just a temporary issue, restarting your PC will solve it. If this method doesn’t work, try the next one.
- Update Chrome
If the issue is universal and most users are facing the connection timed-out error, it could be a Chrome issue. That’s why it’s important to update the Chrome browser regularly to fix the problem. Here is how to update chrome,
- Go to the menu(click on three dots on the upper right-hand side)
- Then find the help option and click on the about google chrome option
- Now on the page, click on the update button and wait for the update to finish.
- Once the update is over restart chrome and checks for the error
If the problem persists, and you are still facing the “ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT” error, then try the next solution.
Make sure you update chrome regularly for better n smooth functionality.
- Clear Browsing Cache and Data
When we visit any website, our chrome saves their data like caches, thumbnails, and cookies. It will help them to load the website faster. However, sometimes this browsing data gets corrupted and we face errors just like connection timed out and more. Make sure to clear all the browsing data regularly.
Here is how to clear chrome’s browsing data :
- Visit Chrome’s menu and find more tools
- Then find clear browsing data, now select all three options and click on clear data.
Once you clear all caches and cookies from the browser, you can try to access another website to know the status of the error. If this method doesn’t revolve around the issue, try the next method.
- Compatibility Mode
To fix the ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT issue, we need to try compatibility mode. Sometimes when we face such an error, it could be a Chrome bug. If we run it with compatibility mode, we can learn why we are still encountering the problem.
- Visit the desktop and find Chrome shortcut, right-click on that and select troubleshoot compatibility
- On the next window, select the Troubleshoot program option
- Now select the option that says, “the program worked in earlier versions of windows but won’t install or run now” and click on the next
- Now it will ask “which version of Windows did this program work on before?” select the appropriate version of Windows
- Now click on the test program and it will open chrome in compatibility mode. Make sure it works and then click on the Next button
- After that, it will ask you about the issue is fixed or not? If the issue is solved, click on “Yes, save these settings for this program”
This will surely fix the issue of connection timed-out error. But somehow, you are still struggling with the problem, follow the next method.
- Disable Antivirus and Firewall
Firewall and antivirus are essential for windows security but they sometimes interrupt website connection. Currently, some of the firewall settings are too secure that it discards many websites and treats them as a threat. If that is the issue here with the connection timed out error, then we need to disable it temporarily. Here is how,
- Follow this guide to disable avast temporarily.
- To disable the firewall, search firewall in the menu and find windows defender
- Then select Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off
- After that, uncheck “Block all incoming connections, including those in the list of allowed programs” in both private and public networks.
- We can just turn off the window defender firewall, go back to the same page and select the option
Now try to open any website, with the firewall down, you can access any website despite the threat of any malware. If the issue didn’t solve with this method, try another method from the article.
- Disable Extension
Chrome extensions are useful for most users to operate easily and find their data quickly. It interrupts our connection with the internet as well. Extensions take up most of the internet and memory to run continually in the background and interfere with the connection. Here is how to disable the chrome extension.
- Go to the chrome menu and find more tools and click on the extension option
- Then disable every chrome extension in the menu
Now go back to the browser and try to open any website. If you still find the error of connection timed out on the page. We advise you to try other methods.
- Flush DNS
Sometimes when we try to open any website, the data saved in DNS corrupts the connection. If the website is moved and their IP address is changed, we need to flush the DNS and renew the IP to connect. Here is how to flush DNS,
- Open command prompt with administrative permission
- Now type “ipconfig/flushdns”
- It will flush the DNS and give you a message of Successfully flushed DNS Resolver Cache. Now type “ipconfig/release”
- This command will remove the IP address of your computer. Now, to get new IP from DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), we need to type, “ipconfig/renew”
- This will assign a new(or the old one) to your computer
Once you flush the DNS and renew the IP, try to open a new website and if you find the error remains, it’s time to change the DNS server.
- Change DNS
With the above method, we are flushing the DNS, now we need to change the DNS. We can assign Google DNS which is faster and more reliable. This will be effective for solving the Connection timed-out error.
- Open to the control panel and then find the network and internet
- After that look for network and sharing center and go to change adapter settings
- Now you will find the ethernet option, right-click on ethernet and go to the properties
- Now find Internet protocol and go to properties option from the different connection options
- This is the last step, change the DNS option to Google DNS
- Preferred DNS server: 126.96.36.199
- Alternate DNS server: 188.8.131.52
Once the DNS is changed, you can try to establish a connection with faster speed and security. But if this change doesn’t affect the ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error, then try another one.
- Disable IPv6
IPv6 is an internet protocol just like IPv4, but it’s still new and provides a much safer connection option. Everyone is using it nowadays as they have a large pool of IP addresses. However, it could be the reason behind the connection timed out error. To check, we need to disable it.
- Go to the start menu and search “ncpa. cpl”, then click on the run as administrator option
- Provide permission by clicking on yes
- You will find the network connection windows, now right-click on the ethernet option and then select properties
- Now uncheck the box with the Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) option and click ok
- After that, restart your PC
Once the PC rebooted, try to connect to the internet and visit any website. If the issue with the error remains, try to disable proxy settings.
- Disable Proxy
Chrome allows users to apply a proxy that can mask their IP address and provide extra security. However, when we use a proxy, it will change our IP and some websites don’t allow those IPs to access their website. This will result in ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error. To fix this issue, we need to disable proxy, here is how,
- Go to menu and then settings, now find an advance option and then search for system
- Now find the “Open your computer’s proxy settings” and click on it
- Now turn off the proxy settings,
This will turn off proxy and you can access any website without getting any error. But even with this method, you are still finding the connection timed out error, then we need to modify the windows host file,
- Modify Windows Host Files
If you are facing any issue with just one website, then this method can help. Every Windows operating system has host files saved on their PC. it contains all the information related to DNS and IP. sometimes the host file incorrectly edits or has some issue with it, we need to edit the host file. Here is how,
- Open notepad or any text editor with administrator permission
- Now use the notepad to open the host file at “C:\\Windows\System32\drivers\etc”
- Now check if the website you are trying to access is not listed in there.
This is the last method to fix the ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT error on chrome. By following every single method, you can successfully solve this problem without any hassle.
FAQ for ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
- What is the Err_Connection_Timed_Out error in chrome?
Err connection timed out error is an error that is faced by users due to a bad internet connection or some internal issue with chrome.
- How to fix connection timed out error in chrome?
Perform the below-stated methods in Windows Operating System to fix the error in 2020
- Restart your PC
- Update Chrome browser
- Clear cookies in the browser
- Run compatibility mode
- Disable firewall, extension, proxy
- Disable IPv6
- Flush DNS and renew IP
- Change DNS to Google DNS
- Modify Windows hosts file
- Why does my Google Chrome keep timing out?
If you try all of the above methods and still you are facing the issue, then it could be the website’s fault. Sometimes when website servers are down, we face the connection timed out error.
In this article, we have provided 11 different solutions to fix the error ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT. Make sure to follow them chronologically and fix the connection timed out the issue right away. If you have any problems regarding the chrome browser and error messages, ask us in the comment section.