Table of Contents
Discord Mic not working after Windows update: Fix 2023
Text, image, video, and audio communication between users in a chat channel is the focus of Discord, one of the most well-liked VoIP (Voice over internet protocol), instant messaging, and digital distribution platforms. It can be used on a variety of operating systems, including Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, and web browsers. It is particularly well known among gamers. The Discord app’s development team is excellent, and Discord regularly releases updates with problem patches.
Despite my positive experience with Discord, I occasionally get this mic not working problem on Windows. Others in Discord voice channels cannot hear me at all, despite the fact that there are no error messages or microphone connectivity concerns. I was finally able to permanently fix the Discord mic issue on Windows 10 and 11 after numerous attempts at debugging. Here are all the fixes for the Discord microphone issue that you can try.
Restart your PC
Restarting the Discord program is one quick fix for a broken mic on a Windows computer. The mic cord can also be reconnected, as can Bluetooth reconnection. The mic may occasionally have simple connectivity problems, or your Discord app may not function exactly how it should. However, if they don’t or the Discord mic keeps giving issues, there are a couple fixes that should work to resolve the problem.
Check Windows microphone connection.
- Press the Windows key to bring up the start menu if you are using Windows 10 or 11. Open the Settings app by conducting a search for it here.
- Click on the System option in the Settings app, then choose the Sound option.
- Scroll down to the Input section of the Sound Options page, where you can choose the desired microphone.
- Reconnect the microphone and try again if you can’t see your microphone on the list. If the issue continues, it indicates that your microphone is not even trying to connect to the OS. Reconnect if the mic is mentioned.
Try switching to a different port or microphone.
Verify that the correct port on your Windows 10 or 11 PC or laptop is connected if your microphone does not appear in the settings. Some computers feature many audio ports for surround sound, speakers, microphones, and other devices. On most PCs, the microphone port should be blue in color.
You can also try a different microphone. Even if the new microphone is malfunctioning, the OS itself may be at fault.
Permit Discord to use the microphone on Windows.
You can experience the microphone not working on your computer when using Discord if the microphone is deactivated in Windows privacy settings. Let’s verify that your Windows 10 PC has microphone access turned on.
- Select Privacy from Windows Settings after opening them.
- Next, select Microphone from the list of App permissions in the sidebar to your left.
- A switch should be switched on next to Allow apps to access your microphone. If this option is greyed out, click Change under the heading Microphone access for this device and turn it on (see the image below).
- Check the app list to see if Discord has permission to use the microphone; if not, do not allow it.
- Restart your computer and then launch Discord to see how the problem is progressing.
Windows input volume settings
You may adjust the input volume by looking at the mic’s attributes after selecting it in Settings.
- Click on the microphone you’ve chosen to enter the Properties page by going to Settings > System > Sound.
- Verify that the Input volume is 100 under Input Settings.
- When finished, click the Start Test button next to the section labelled Test Your Microphone. Then, for a short while, speak or play any audio at a normal volume. After that, press the Stop Test button. In order to ensure that the sound is operating flawlessly, it provides you with the audio percentage.
Install or update audio drivers.
If you have the microphone attached but it isn’t functioning properly, it may be due to outdated or unsupported audio drivers.
A certain driver may need to be updated for your device. It can be challenging to identify the precise audio driver that requires an update, depending on the microphone you’re using and the sound drivers it supports. Anyhow, irrespective of the microphone you are using, you may just upgrade all the audio drivers.
- Press the Windows key to bring up the Start menu, where you can look for and launch the Device Manager.
- Select the options for sound, video, and game controllers. Then decide which microphone is giving you trouble.
- A window to modify the settings for that particular mic opens. Select the Update Driver option after clicking the Driver tab.
- Next, choose the option to automatically search for drivers in the pop-up window. The required driver should be automatically downloaded from the internet and installed.
Run the Speech Troubleshooter.
Run the Windows 10 Speech Troubleshooter to detect and resolve microphone issues, such as the Discord mic not working issue, automatically.
- Use the Windows key + to access Windows settings.
- After choosing update and security, I chose troubleshoot. (See image below.)
- Select the additional troubleshooter link. Following the on-screen instructions will help Windows identify and resolve the issue for you.
- Now scroll down to find speech, pick it, and click launch troubleshooter.
Attempt Manual Microphone Connection via Discord Voice Settings.
Your installed microphone should instantly establish a connection with Discord. But occasionally, it can be the system mic rather than the one you like. To fix the problem, you can manually connect the microphone that you intend to use.
- Open the Discord mobile or browser app, and then select the cog symbol next to the user’s name in the bottom left corner to access User Settings.
- On the left sidebar of the User Settings screen, choose Voice and Video.
- The voice parameters should be adjustable here. Choose the microphone you want to use from the list of input devices.
- Once chosen, be sure to turn up the input volume. in order for your friends to hear you more clearly.
- You can finally perform a Mic test. To do that, select the Let’s check option that is located beneath the Mic Test option. In an audio meter, discord should stand in for the input sound.
In the majority of situations, it can be problematic if Discord doesn’t select the appropriate microphone. Therefore, selecting the microphone manually should accomplish the task. Continue with the next steps if the issue still exists after choosing the microphone.