Table of Contents
With over 2 billion monthly active users, YouTube is the most popular video platform world-wide. However, there is one limitation with YouTube is that you cannot download or save videos directly on your device. This means you always need an internet connection to watch YouTube videos.
Fortunately, there are a number of YouTube downloader tools available that allow you to download videos from YouTube on your devices. This allows you to watch your favorite YouTube videos offline.
In this article, we will provide a comprehensive guide on how to download videos from YouTube.
Benefits of Downloading from YouTube
Here are some of the top reasons why you may want to download videos from YouTube:
- Offline viewing: Once a YouTube video is downloaded, you can watch it at any time without requiring an internet connection. This is handy for watching videos on airplanes, road trips, or other places where WiFi may be unavailable.
- Preserve your favorite videos: YouTube videos can often be removed or deleted over time. Downloading lets you store a permanent copy on your device so you can watch it whenever you like.
- Avoid ads: By downloading YouTube videos, you avoid being interrupted by ads that play before and during videos. This provides for an uninterrupted viewing experience.
- Save on mobile data usage: Viewing streaming YouTube videos can use up considerable mobile data. Downloading allows you to watch videos without draining your data plan.
- Enhanced playback control: Some YouTube downloaders come with advanced playback options including variable speed control, picture-in-picture mode, and the ability to extract audio from videos.
Clearly, having the ability to store YouTube videos locally on your device provides for considerable benefits. Next, let’s look at some of the best tools available for downloading from YouTube.
Top 6 YouTube Downloaders for 2023
Here are the top 6 YouTube video downloaders available in 2023:
- 4K Video Downloader – Our no.1 recommendation for YouTube video downloading. Offers unlimited high-quality downloads as well as advanced options.
- TubeMate – Full-featured smartphone app for Android. Great to download videos while on-the-go.
- aTube Catcher – Robust downloader and converter for PCs. Download entire playlists or channels.
- ClipGrab – Lightweight and easy to use downloader. Converts clips to MP3 files.
- KeepVid – Web-based tool that delivers high-speed downloads. No installation required.
- VideoProc – Download and convert YouTube videos to different formats. Offers editing before downloading.
As you can see, you have several good options for downloading YouTube videos depending on your specific needs. Next, let’s look at step-by-step guides for using these top tools.
How to Download YouTube Videos (Step-by-Step Guides)
Here we provide step-by-step usage guides for the top 4 YouTube downloaders:
4K Video Downloader Usage
- Go to www.4kdownload.com and click “Free Download” to install 4K Video Downloader.
- Launch the app once installed. Copy the URL of the YouTube video you want to download.
- Paste this video URL into 4K Video Downloader. The available resolution and formats will automatically populate.
- Click the “Download” button. Choose MP4 for high-quality downloads or MP3 to extract just the audio.
- Select a save folder location. The download will now commence. Please wait for it to be fully completed.
- Access the file through your file explorer. Double click to play the video or audio file and enjoy!
With over 1 million global users, 4K Video Downloader is regarded as the fastest and simplest tool to download from YouTube.
As a leading Android app, TubeMate makes downloading videos while on-the-go easy and hassle free:
- On your Android device, go to www.tubemate.net. Tap “Download APK” to install TubeMate.
- Launch TubeMate once installed. At the top, tap the YouTube icon. This opens the YouTube search bar.
- Search for any video. Select the video result you want to download.
- Tap the downward arrow button next to the video title, then tap “Download”.
- Choose either “Video” or “Audio” for your download type. Hit OK and select the output quality.
- The download process will now start. Access downloaded videos through the “Downloads” section within TubeMate.
With over 500 million users globally, TubeMate is the top tool for downloading YouTube videos on Android devices. The platform also supports downloading from other major video sites.
aTube Catcher Usage
For robust YouTube downloading and conversion on Windows PCs, aTube Catcher is a top choice:
- Go to atube.me and click “Download” to install aTube Catcher.
- Once installed and opened, copy & paste your YouTube video URL into aTube Catcher.
- From the “Downloads” tab, select either “Video” or “Audio” for you download type. Choose your preferred output quality.
- Go to the “Folder” field to select a save location on your device.
- Hit the red “Download” button to start the YouTube download. The status will be displayed.
- Access your downloads through the folder location you selected within Windows Explorer.
With the ability to download entire YouTube playlists and channels, schedule downloads, and convert clips to various file formats, aTube Catcher is one of the most versatile PC tools available.
For fast and simple downloading, ClipGrab is a top browser-based tool:
- Go to clipgrab.org. Paste your YouTube video URL into the bar at the top.
- From the “Save as type” menu, select “MP3” if you just want the audio. Choose “MP4” for the video file.
- Select the output quality from the right-sided menu.
- Hit “Grab This Clip” to start the YouTube download. A window will open showing download status.
- Once completed, click “Show in folder” to access the downloaded MP3 or MP4 file and play it.
As an intuitive browser-based tool requiring no software installations, ClipGrab makes downloading and converting from YouTube a total breeze.
In some cases, you may encounter issues downloading videos from YouTube such as:
- Downloads getting stuck halfway
- Incomplete or corrupt downloaded files
- YouTube blocking the downloader site
Here are some tips to troubleshoot common YouTube downloading problems:
- Check if your internet connection is working properly and try again. Unstable connections can interrupt downloads.
- Disable any VPNs or proxy connections that could block access to downloader sites from your region.
- Clear browser cookies and site data history. Cache build up can prevent sites from functioning.
- Try a different YouTube downloader tool as it could be a tool-specific issue.
- Download the video again using a lower output quality. Large ultra HD files are more prone to errors.
- As a last resort, reboot your device before trying to download it again. This clears up any memory issues.
Following these troubleshooting tips should resolve the most common downloading problems. Reach out for further support if issues continue.
Is Downloading from YouTube Legal?
When downloading content from video platforms like YouTube, an important question that arises is whether the practice is legal.
The short answer is that simply downloading videos from YouTube for your personal offline use is perfectly legal in most countries. However, there are some caveats and exceptions.
Under the fair use doctrine, you have the right to create personal backups of content you lawfully accessed. Downloaders merely facilitate this process.
Where it becomes illegal is if you were to redistribute, sell or publicly exhibit downloaded YouTube videos without authorization. This violates copyright.
YouTube’s terms of service also prohibit downloading but state they “won’t exercise our rights to enforce this prohibition without good reasons”.
So for personal offline viewing of videos, downloading from YouTube is implicitly allowed and fully lawful. Just avoid republishing content that violates rights holders’ copyright protections.
Pros and Cons of Downloading from YouTube
Let’s summarize the key advantages and disadvantages of downloading videos from YouTube:
- Download unlimited videos for free
- Save your favorite clips for life
- Avoid ads & interruptions
- View anywhere offline
- Enhanced playback features
- Lightweight compressed files
- Requires third-party software
- Risk of malware infections
- Content may get deleted
- Can’t stream to TVs easily
- YouTube may ban accounts
By weighing up these pros and cons, you can decide if downloading from YouTube aligns with your specific viewing requirements. For most users, the benefits clearly seem to justify the small hassles.
Downloading videos from YouTube for personal offline viewing provides tremendous value. The top tools enable high-quality, unlimited downloads while overcoming YouTube limitations.
We recommend 4K Video Downloader as the leading cross-platform option. But smartphone users are also well-served by apps like TubeMate.
Troubleshooting tips are advised to overcome common issues. As long as you avoid redistributing content, downloading from YouTube appears to be implicitly permitted and entirely risk-free.
The pros seem to considerably outweigh the cons for most use-cases. With offline viewing needs growing, YouTube downloaders look set to keep surging in popularity through 2023 and beyond.
So give one of these top tools a try today and unlock the full benefits of the world’s largest video library!
READ MORE: Top FPS Games for Low End PCs